The specialised consulting activities of TECSA S.r.l. have always been accompanied by studies aimed at improving service to its customers with a strong developmental process of internal know-how and subsequent dissemination through scientific and technical books, monographs and articles. This process is substantiated by a group of technicians through research and development applied to the themes and activities followed by the company.
The activity of the core of R&D covers a very large number of research areas such as mathematical modelling; experimental studies on combustion, on fire and safety; software development and the calibration of existing models for risk analysis; studies and research on heat, smoke, flame and gas detectors.
The group is also deeply involved in the development of new technologies in cooperation with European and international research groups, working in the frameworks of Eureka and European Union R&D.
Tecsa is therefore constantly in touch with the most renowned research institutes and universities at European and international level.
The research and development sector responds to specific needs including:
- Full scale experimenting on the effect of fires in certain circumstances (containers engulfed in flames, the geometry of flames of fires of various sizes, flammable product releases, etc.);
- Activities include: experimenting with new solutions in relation to specific risks of fire (gantry fires, fires aboard platforms, fires in storage and particular areas, etc.);
- Developing simulation models relating to the phenomenon of fire (e.g. in the case of investigative reports following particular events that developed in civil, military, industrial and marine structures and in historical buildings);
- The performance of “casing” fire resistance tests for motorised valves for special applications;
- The performance of special experimental testing to assess the resistance to fire of fire-resistant coatings for the protection of On and Off Shore process equipment;
- Developing and implementing special measuring, monitoring and data acquisition systems.
Tecsa has developed a series of tools to monitor the parameters of fire together with a computerised data acquisition system: Computerised Fire Data acquisition (COFID1) and it also develops equipment for particular environmental monitoring situations.
Among the customers of the R&D Division, Tecsa S.r.l. is proud to mention the Studies and Experiences Center of the Ministry of the Interior and some of the most important chemical multinationals.
The various research projects include:
- Development of New Types of Gas and Fire Detectors for Unmanned Off-Shore Platforms (participants: Tecsa S.r.l., TNO – Netherlands, Snamprogetti Ltd. –Great Britain);
- Development of New Technologies to Reduce the Environmental Impact of Fire Fighting Foam Systems – Eureka Project EU 350 – Euroenviron (participants: Tecsa S.r.l. as a subcontractor of Sabo – Italy, Rosenbauer – Austria);
- Foam and Water Deluge Systems for Offshore Oil Platform, Contract TH/15125/89 (participants: Tecsa S.r.l. as a subcontractor for Sabo – Italy, RM Consultants Ltd. – Great Britain;
- TOMHID © (Towards an Overall Methodology for Hazard Identification) STEP Community research programme (participants: Tecsa S.r.l., VTT Technical Research Centre – Finland, SRD – Great Britain, University of Sheffield – Great Britain, RISO National Laboratory – Denmark, CCR the Joint Research Centre – Italy, Ciemat – Spain);
- ATMOSHERE© (Atmospheric Dispersion of Process and Accidental Releases: an Integrated System for Real-Time Forecast and Emergency Management) – Eureka Project EU 473 – Euroenviron (participants: Tecsa S.r.l. as project leader, Alcatel Titn Answare – France, RM Consultants Ltd. – Great Britain, Voest-Alpine Stahl Linz – Austria, Graz University of Technology – Austria, Turin Polytechnic, VTT Technical Research Centre – Finland);
- FIDESY© (Fire Detection System Based on Intelligent Processing of Infrared and Visible Images) – Eureka Project EU 454 – Euroenviron (participants: Tecsa S.r.l. as project leader, ITMI – France, Ibermatica – Spain);
- STARS© (Software Tools for Analysis of Reliability and Safety) (participants: Tecsa S.r.l., CCR joint research centre – Italy, RISO National Laboratory – Denmark, VTT Technical Research Centre – Finland, and other European partners);
- FIREXP© Experimental Tests of well fires and liquid fuels (participants: Tecsa S.r.l. as scientific advisor and in charge of the experimental activities together with Agip S.p.A.; sponsors: Industria Italiana Petroli S.p.A., Snamprogetti S.p.A., Enea, Enel, CCR Joint Research Centre);
- Prometheus© management of emergencies from fires in buildings;
- A “building” targeted project – The development of a set of expert systems and mathematical models for assessing the safety of large buildings in case of fire (Subproject 2, PFE, CNR National Research Council. Contract no. 89.00350.64);
- Definition of the types of components classified by offshore modules (work for Agip Stin);
- Study of foaming solution spray systems for fire protection (work performed by Snamprogetti S.p.A.;
- Experimental tests of fire extinguishing and detection systems for tanker loading bays for petroleum products (work performed for Agip Petroli S.p.A.);
- Experimental tests of fire extinguishing and detection systems for storage tanks for petroleum products (work performed for Agip Petroli S.p.A.);
- SIAS©- Reliability and Safety Information System (work performed for Agip S.p.A. TESI);
- DEGATEC©- Development of a software package for Microsoft Windows© to model the dispersion of gases and vapours that are denser than air (developed for the Gas Research Institute-USA da Tecsa S.r.l. and Risk and Industrial Safety Consultants-USA). The calculation code is based on Degadis 2.1 (J. Havens, T. Spicer, University of Arkansas). DEGATEC© is officially recognised by GRI, EPA and by the US Coast Guard;
- “Hospitals and Health Care Facilities: Guidelines for the implementation of an effective Safety and Health Management System” (design of a Safety and Health Management System to be applied to hospitals and healthcare facilities and elaboration of specific guidelines for the management and safety staff of these structures);
- Development of “GIPSA – Gas Installations & Plants Safety Analysis” software for Safety Analysis (QRA) and Fire Risk Assessment of gas transportation installations. The calculation module of the software includes consequence analysis (Jet Fire, Flash Fire, Pool Fire, Dispersion, Explosion), probabilistic assessment through fault trees & event trees, risk ranking and comparison with acceptability criteria, social risk F-N curves, report production.