Tecsa S.r.l. has been developing for some time now fire safety analysis and investigation activities following accidents actually occurred supported by simulations conducted with advanced numerical codes for:
- the study of the causes, evolution and dynamics of fires;
- the analysis of the exodus in emergency conditions (also taking into consideration the interaction of the
- occupying the building with the fire or its products);
- the verification of the structures in terms of fire resistance;
- the domino effect;
- the analysis and assessment of fire risk.
These activities are carried out in compliance with the regulations (e.g. Ministerial Decree of 9 May 2007 and fire engineering methods provided for in the fire prevention code) and national regulations as well as the guidelines and international standards concerning Fire Safety Engineering (including ISO, BS, NFPA, SFPE, etc.) always using the most advanced numerical calculation codes, both for industrial and civil fires.
All simulation activities are carried out by professionals Tecsa S.r.l. performance-oriented design experts and fire-fighting professionals registered in the lists of the Ministry of Interior (ex Law 818).
Tecsa S.r.l. also carries out teaching activities in the field of performance-oriented fire engineering in companies, professional bodies and foundations, academic institutes and trade associations throughout Italy. TECSA S.r.l. technicians also conduct training activities at supranational level through specific partnerships. The following topics are usually developed in the teaching field:
- fire risk analysis (Ministerial Decree of 10 March 1998, T.U. 81/2008);
- international rules, standards and regulations;
- performance-oriented fire engineering;
- advanced numerical simulation (automatic zone and CFD calculation codes);
- numerical simulation of the exodus in emergency conditions in civil and industrial environments, as well as from infrastructures such as ports, airports and railway stations;
- optimisation of the costs associated with the interventions foreseen as part of a fire prevention project;
- definition of performance criteria, fire objectives for the identification of a fire strategy;
- derogation procedure and “performance” fire prevention project;
- verification of the fire resistance of the structures;
- automatic calculation codes for the finite element verification of the fire resistance of structures;
- Fire Safety Management (GSA).
TECSA S.r.l. specialises in the analysis of fire safety connected with critical structures and infrastructures on which it also conducts targeted fire prevention audits, both for the purpose of achieving a substantial level of fire safety and compliance with internationally recognised technical regulations and standards (e.g. NFPA 130 concerning fire safety in railway stations) and for insurance purposes.
TECSA S.r.l. has developed significant experience both in Italy and in Europe on ports, airports and railway stations (including the major Italian passenger stations).
In the field of fire safety assessment and design activities, specific methods and tools adapted to the type of infrastructure are used; for example, for complex infrastructures, specialised codes are used for the management of information related to large numbers of passengers in order to assess the degree of safety of the emergency evacuation system. These codes make it possible not only to assess the emergency exodus but also to verify the performance of the building or complex of buildings normally constituting the transport infrastructure with respect to normal use (e.g. to check waiting times at ticket offices, to verify the impact of the arrival of numerous trains or aircraft, etc.) in order to verify specific stress conditions. Among the main calculation codes used is PedestrianDynamics of the company IncontrolSimulation with which TECSA S.r.l. boasts a solid commercial partnership.